Friday, June 11, 2010

Music Class

Today was Sophie's last day of music class. Sophie starts preschool in the fall and I don't think we'll be able to do both. I am heartbroken. And she would be too if she understood that it was over. Sophie lOvEs going to music class. We have been going together since she was 6mos. old and it has made an impression on her. Sophie isn't the kind of kid that is always singing the loudest or dancing the biggest or even doing more than sit on my lap sometimes, but she has absorbed e.v.e.r.y.w.o.r.d of e.v.e.r.y.s.o.n.g that Miss Amy has sung over the last 2 1/2 years. She can sing them all and knows if I sing one word (one!) wrong. I think she's gotten bigger lessons though than just songs - I think she's learned how to listen to a teacher, she's learned rhythm (er...), she's learned impulse control, she's learned how to take turns and she's gained confidence. It's given us hours of extra fun at home and we've used the songs we've learned more than once to calm a tantrum, fix a hurt or soothe her during something scary. It took her a while to branch out, but today she was the first in line to sing into the microphone and ran without hesitation to give Miss Amy a big hug after class. More than that, it's been something so fun and bonding for the two of us to do together. It was a lifesaver for me when she was a baby and I was a new mom without family around and I was desperate for ways to keep my sanity. And ever since, it's been this really special thing where we got to play and snuggle and laugh together. I was fighting back tears today because it's over. I kept thinking of how proud she is when she follows directions well and how she always wants to pop the biggest bubble and how she loves to do lap rides at home and how sweet it is to watch her be brave enough go into the circle to do something fun and then run back as fast as she can to snuggle in my arms. And I remember thinking when she was a baby that she'll never be done with music class and now she is. It seemed impossible that my little girl could grow so big and yet she has. And now we are on to art camp and preschool and pretty soon crushes on Justin Bieber. And as excited as I am for all that (except the Justin Bieber part - I know what tween girls are like when they're in love), I can't help but wish that we were still Wiggly Woo-ing.

P.S. I got the picture of Miss Amy from her website because I'm always too busy singing and dancing and soul-gonging to take any pictures. In fact, I only have these two of Sophie and only because Hazel came with us when she visited so we had the camera out.

No comments: