Monday, April 27, 2009

Mom Heaven (the trip, not the mall necessarily)


I am so spoiled!!! Every mom should have a weekend like I just had at least once a year! I hadn't had a break from being a mom really since Sophie was born. And with the new baby coming soon, I knew I wouldn't have one for at least another year so last weekend I flew to exotic Minneapolis for the weekend. BY MYSELF! Why Minneapolis? Because it was close and really cheap and the point was just to get away. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to have a couple days to myself! I didn't have to decide what to feed Sophie. I didn't have to find a way to sneak in a shower. I didn't have say "no show" once. I didn't have to consider when Sophie's nap was when deciding what to do. I could go out after 8:00pm (so that's what nighttime looks like!). I could do whatever I wanted! I'd forgotten what that's like. Granted, I'm still seven months pregnant so I couldn't do a lot but in a way that was good. I went to the Mall of America and cruised around downtown. I went swimming at my hotel and ordered room service. I spent a lot of time relaxing and reading and watching the Red Sox slaughter the Yankees (without having half my attention on the toddler trying to chase the cat). Most of all, I got rejuvenated. I was so excited to get home and really felt revived to be a mom again.


And I couldn't have done it at all if I didn't have the best husband ever. Nate completely took over dad duty. He didn't call once for help and when I called to check in he got annoyed that I was even thinking of them instead of relaxing. Sophie and Daddy had a really fun time while I was gone and I think they only went to McDonald's once. It was really good for them to have some solid time without me there as a backstop (not that Nate needs a backstop - he's a fantastic dad - but that Sophie tends to lean on me a little more unless I'm completely out of the picture). So I have to thank Nate for giving me the best gift ever!! Well, maybe second best gift - wait til you hear what we are doing Tuesday night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Nate's awesome!

Brittany said...

I know - he's the best!