

Christmas morning was so nice and relaxing for us! Although we really, really missed our families(!!!!!!!!!!!), it was nice to have no obligations on Christmas other than to enjoy ourselves. Sophie didn't completely know what to expect when she woke up so she wasn't exactly chomping at the bit, but once she got downstairs she understood what was going on (and ever since then, whenever she goes to sleep she asks if Christmas Eve is coming). She saw her unwrapped stuffed Rudolph first thing. Second she saw all the presents and wanted to say thank you to Santa (how polite is that??). And thirdly, she saw the unwrapped cat toy she helped me pick out for Darcy and ran into the kitchen to give it to him. Only then did she dive into her presents.



Of course Sophie wanted to play with each present as she got it and I surprised myself because I didn't want her to. I went into it thinking that was one of the primary benefits of being at home but I found myself rushing her. I wanted to see her reaction to everything and I didn't want her to get bored with any of her presents yet - these toys are my parenting toolbox for the long upcoming winter! After opening her Dora "phone" she was lost though. It's a little radio that plays songs from Dora the Explorer and Sophie went NUTS for it!! She was rolling around on the ground, kicking her legs she was so happy with it. It was hilarious to watch and so funny that she called it a phone - apparently to her phones and music are one and the same since mommy always plays music on her iphone.

Clara didn't fully appreciate Christmas. She was just as happy with her presents as she was with the bows that came on them. Maybe more happy with the bows. (I hope they weren't toxic!)


After presents, I made crepes for everyone (the only time I do) and we finally relaxed and played with all the goods.

It was a fabulous Christmas! We hope you all had a happy day too!

Aftermath: Funny, but Nate and I had to talk about how to compromise on gift opening. We each grew up with very specific and
polar opposite ways that gifts were opened. My house was absolute
chaos - we just ripped in to presents as fast as we could and threw the wrapping paper wherever. We were done in 15 minutes and surrounded by waist-high paper. One year we lost the cat. Nate's house was always very controlled - everyone took turns opening gifts, it went from youngest to oldest and the wrapping paper got put in the trash bag immediately. It was easy to decide to open one present at a time, but not do it in any order - kinda best of both worlds. But we really had to
discuss what to do with the wrapping paper. We ended up throwing it off to the side as we unwrapped gifts - not in a garbage bag (so I still got a little pile I could wade through if I wanted) and Nate got to have it be relatively neat while we unwrapped. Funny the things you have to compromise on when it comes to traditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment