This past weekend, Nate and I took off for exotic Houston. He had a conference down there on Thursday and Friday. I joined him Thursday night and we stayed for the weekend. Sans Bug. It was awesome! This was the first time we have gone away without Sophie, ever. Houston really isn't much to write home about and it wasn't even that warm (although certainly a lot warmer than Chicago, we still had to wear jackets). But that's what made it a perfect trip - that Nate and I could just spend some unstructured time together, alone. We went out to eat and were actually able to finish conversations. We went to a movie in an actual theater. We saw Houston's top two sights, as recommended by the Tourist Bureau lady - the underground (which was a lot of tunnels and chain restaurants under downtown) and the Bayou with the "magnificent" monument to the older George Bush (which we couldn't wait to see... and it was just a life size statue and the Bayou was just a river that ran through downtown). Seriously, if those were the highlights of the city, it is a lame ass city. We did drive by MinuteMaid Park and would have loved to have gone to a baseball game but obviously we were there the wrong time of year. We were staying near the Galleria which is a ginormous mall so we wandered around there and we also tracked down a really sad little farmer's market just for an excuse to be outside. But it didn't matter that the city itself was totally generic because we still had a great time and both feel recharged and reconnected so in that way it was the perfect trip!
We left Sophie in the very capable hands of my dad and Char. Apparently, they had a great time and Sophie didn't even cry once (other than when I walked out the door and had to watch her go ballistic). I'm sure it all went so well because of the novel of information I left for them. It was so relaxing to know that Sophie was in good hands and was having fun. I only had to call home a few times...
Thank you guys for watching her so we could go! You have no idea how much we appreciate it!




No comments:
Post a Comment